Center for the development and promotion of internet usage in Thailand, including facilitating domain name registration and managing database of top level .th and .ไทย domain names
The Thai Network Information Center (THNIC) foundation is a non-profit organization established in 2007 as a center to develop, promote, and facilitate Internet usage. It also focuses on the development of internet domain systems and suitable and effective domain name registration policy through the cooperation of relevant parties and listening to the opinions of interested individuals.
The main mission of THNIC is to promote and facilitate the use of internet domain name registration and database management of Country Code Top Level Domain Name .th (Dot Th) and. ไทย (Dot Thai) as well as support research and development of the Internet in Thailand, develop human resources to have expertise and knowledge in internet technology to benefit the country, give advice to society about internet development, perform public service and collaborate with government agencies, private academic institutions and other organizations involved in internet technology.
Objectives of THNIC Foundation
- Promote and facilitate the use of internet, domain name registration and management of “.th Top Level Domain Name” database
- Support studies, researches and developments on internets in Thailand.
- Develop human resources to have knowledge and competency in internet technology, which would be beneficial to the nation.
- Provide advices on internet development in Thailand to the society.
- Practice public benefits or cooperate with government sector, academies, private sector and other charity organizations on internet technology.
- Coordinate and cooperate with international internet organization.
- Enhance knowledge and understanding on internet, domain name and other internet technologies to public.
- Not get involved in politics in any way.
The folowings are sample of Internet research and development projects supported by THNIC foundation:
- Adisorn Lertsinsrubtavee, Nunthaphat Weshsuwannarugs, Nisarat Tansakul, Attaphongse Taparugssanagorn, Kanchana Kanchanasut:
Wireless Edge Network for Sustainable Rural Community Networks, ANRW 2018.
- Petcharat Suriyachai, A precise network dimensioning method for wireless sensor networks, 2013.
- Net2Home project: bringing the Internet to local communities in remote area using low cost and effective technology, aims to to increase the Internet penetration rate in Thailand.
- Bangkok Neutral Internet Exchange (BKNIX) project: developing the Internet infrastructure to allow effective exchange of data within Thailand.
- THNG Camp: creating a group of young volunteers to apply the Internet technology into various areas such as disaster recovery and rural communities